Wednesday

remembering is key

I was finished with my last major milestone until mid-April. The FMI retake (see the "FMI? FML" post for a more thorough assessment of that class) had gone over horribly, but the despair was tempered with giddiness at the prospect of an open schedule. The weekend was wide open, and I wanted nothing more than to marinate in the tender juices of relaxation.

Friday night the social chairman of our study program had arranged a large party that turned out to be horribly ironic. The theme was "dress inappropriately," and I'm convinced that he who conceived this concoction failed to take into account that the program contains 130ish people: 100 guys and 30 girls whose boyfriends wouldn't approve of the theme. This same master planner forgot to notify the bouncers that our group's attire wouldn't quite meet their club's standards. The result? Everyone who dressed inappropriately was not allowed inside the "dress inappropriately" party.

This perfectly illustrates the overarching theme of this post: sometimes people do dumb things. Saturday morning I collected all the empty bottles from our apartment and proceeded the 50 feet to the supermarket to reclaim their deposit value. As soon as the door closed behind me, however, I came to an interesting realization. My keys were on my dresser. Next to them were my credit cards, and slightly above those was my cell phone. My roommate was in Prague until Monday night, and it slowly dawned on me that I was totally and completely screwed. I borrowed a neighbor's phone and called a locksmith, who said he'd be delighted to help for $140. I politely told him where he could shove that exorbitant sum.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the residents of the Svanevej dorm for hosting me the next two nights, but despite having a place to sleep, I had no change of clothes and gradually became saturated in an intoxicating glaze of eau de eww. My apologies to whoever encountered me over that 56 hour period. In was an unfortunate turn to an otherwise glorious weekend, but taught be a valuable lesson: in the game of life, remembering is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment