Saturday

denmark- the cultural phenomenon

If you live in Denmark, if you've visited Denmark, you've undoubtedly heard of Nik & Jay. In fact, mentioning Nik & Jay to a Danish person illicits a very polarized response ("Oh man, they are SO bad" or "ZOMG i LUV Nik & JAY"). Some of my personal bias may show through in their description, but they're a talentless Danish rap duo with egos large enough to fill the arenas they grace with their presence. I vowed never to go see them on principle. Yet go I did, and I was astonished.

They were playing at Tivoli, the famed amusement park in the heart of downtown Copenhagen, as part of their summer concert series. I had been to see another band play there when I was in Copenhagen last spring, and it was pretty standard procedure. Go to park box office, purchase ticket, walk in. When I arrived 2 hours prior to showtime last night, a slightly different scenario greeted me.

The line for tickets seemed to extend in perpetuity down the sidewalk, 10 people wide. When we tried to identify the end, we were directed around the corner 2 city blocks down, where the line continued for at least half a block. I gave up, beaten and befuddled by the cultural phenomenon that is Nik & Jay. But, on a positive note, I think I may have learned why folks in Copenhagen are consistently dubbed the happiest people on Earth: when something goes wrong, you can always find solace in the fact that you live in one fantastic city.

Music: Nik & Jay- I Love ya

No comments:

Post a Comment